Argumentation Questions for IBPS PO
Argumentation Questions for IBPS PO,SO BANK PO and government examination.
Q1. Statement: Doctors found that company M is selling drugs without testing the important aspects of the drugs. Such practice tends the doctor to negate the use of drug.
Which of the following arguments would strengthen the stance of the Company M?
- The commercial production of any drug is permitted after its repeated trial and verification of result.
- Some other companies are also selling the drugs which are sold by the company M.
- Some people do not agree with the view put forward by the doctors.
- Any drug is put on test by the pharmacist. Doctors are not competent to approve or disapprove any drug.
- Doctors promote those drugs which are very costly as they have some share in the profit. (IBPS PO/MT CWE-IV 2014)
Directions(2-4) Read the following statements carefully and answer the questions which follow. (IBPS SO CWE 2013)
Q2. Statement: The ministry of sports has been advised by a committee to take the highest award in the field of sports back from two players who were allegedly involved in match fixing.
Which of the following statements would weaken the argument put forward by the committee to the sports ministry?
- A good conduct in the past and a lack of evidence against the players make the case against them very weak.
- The ministry of sports has never declined the recommendations made by the committee earlier.
- Taking the award back from the players would set a good example to other players for avoiding such actions in the future.
- There have been past cases where the award had to be taken back from the players owing to some misconduct later on.
- The committee is constituted of some of the most respected and esteemed members from the field of sports and politics.
Q3. Statement: Many organizations have been resorting to recruitment based upon performance at graduate/post graduate level exams rather than conducting exams for the same purpose.
Which of the following statements would strengthen the argument given in the above statement?
- A recent study shows no link of past performance with the performance in recruitment exams.
- The graduate/post graduate exams are considered to be severely deficient in training in job related environment.
- Organisations which had undertaken recruitment on the basis of graduate/post graduate exams report a significant drop in the quality of the recruited employees.
- Such policies would add to unemployment among students having below average performance in graduation or post graduation.
- Such policies could save time,money and resources of the organisation which are wasted in the conduct of recruitment examinations.
Q4. Statement: According to a recent government directive, all bank branches in rural areas should be computerized.
Which of the following statements would weaken the government’s argument?
- Computerization of bank branches in urban areas has helped in making their performance more efficient and fast.
- Lack of skilled and qualified manpower has been suitably substituted by computers in banks.
- Non- computerized bank branches in the rural areas have been proved to be as efficient as their computerized counterparts.
- The government has introduced a special test for computer knowledge in all recruitment exams for banks.
- Unemployment in the rural areas could be controlled by training more and more professionals in computers.
Argumentation Questions for IBPS PO
Q5. Statement : It has been reported in a recent study that intake of moderate quantity of milk chocolate reduces the risk of suffering from the central nervous system related illnesses.
Which of the following would weaken the findings of the study reported in the above statement?
- People generally prefer to eat chocolate when they are young.
- Majority of those not diagnosed with diseases related to central nervous system have stayed away from eating chocolates in their lives.
- Chocolates contain certain elements which strengthen the functions of the central nervous system.
- Majority of those suffering from the central nervous system related diseases are middle aged.
- Many of those who suffer from diabetes also suffer from other major ailments. (IBPS SO CWE 2012)
Q6. A very large number of technically qualified young Indians are coming out of colleges every year though there are not enough opportunities for them to get gainful employment.
Which of the following contradicts the views expressed in the above statement?
- Technically qualified persons are far superior to those with standard degrees like BA/B.Sc /B.Com etc.
- The Government has not done effective perspective planning for engaging technically qualified personnel while authorizing the setting up of technical colleges.
- A huge gap exists between the level of competence of technically qualified graduates and requirement of the industry.
- Majority of the technically qualified persons are migrating from India to developed countries for better opportunities.
5. None of these (IBPS PO/MT 2011)
Directions(7-11) In making decision about important questions, it is desirable to be able to distinguish between “Strong” argument and “Weak” argument.
Give answer (1) if only argument I is strong.
Give answer (2) if only argument II is strong.
Give answer (3) if either argument I or II is strong.
Give answer (4) if neither argument I nor II is strong.
Give answer (5) if both argument I and II are strong. (SBI Associates bank PO 2007)
Q7. Statement: Should the habit of late coming in educational institutions be checked?
- No,Until it affects the work.
- Yes. discipline must be maintained.
Q8. Statement: Should seniority be the only criterion for the promotion?
- No, All the senior employees are not interested in promotion.
- Yes. Otherwise senior employees do feel humiliated.
Q9. Statement: Should children be prevented completely from watching television?
- No. We get vital information regarding education through television
- Yes. It hampers the study of children.
Q10. Statement: Should trade unions be banned completely?
- No. This is the only way through which employees can put their demands before management.
- Yes. Employees get their illegal demands fulfilled through these unions.
Q11. Statement: Should women be given equal opportunity in matter of employment in every field?
- Yes. They are equally capable.
- No. They have to shoulder household responsibilities too.
Q12. Statement: Many Major automakers will increase the prices of their vehicles by 7 percent from next month, mainly to offset higher input and operational costs.
Which of the following arguments would weaken the facts given in the statement?
- The largest auto maker in the country, Verontee had failed to make any profit when prices for its vehicles were increased by almost 4 percent.
- Operational and input costs continue to be 85% of the total costs of the vehicles.
- Both input and operational costs were gradually increased by the government to avoid sudden transit losses to the companies.
- At any given time, a price rise of more than 5 % definitely leads to substantial decrease in sales of the vehicles.
- Rather than increasing profit, 7 % price rise would bring it at the same level which existed before the rise in input/operational costs.
1. 1 2. 1 3. 5 4. 3 5. 5 6. 4 7. 2 8. 4 9. 1 10. 1
11. 1 12. 4