In any communication(verbal or nonverbal), there are always two parties i.e. Sender (The one who wants to send the data) and Receiver(one who receives the data). We always want to send our data securely. For this purpose, we use the mechanism of coding and decoding so that the third party (other than the sender and receiver) can never understand the communication of both the parties.
Coding means transforming the original data into an encrypted form which follows a certain pattern.Coding is also known as encryption.
Decoding means converting the coded data into an original form. It is also known as Decryption.
The coding and decoding test is setup to determine the ability of a candidate that he is capable to decipher any code or message.
Type 1-Letter Coding
Q1. TAP is SZO, then FREEZE is, (SSC CGL Tier-I 2015)
EQDFYG 2) EQDDYD 3) ESDFYF 4) GQFDYF
Answer- (2) EQDDYD
Q2. If the word PRINCIPAL is written as LAPICNIRP, how ADOLESCENCE can be written in that code? (SSC CHSL DEO&LDC 2014)
Q3. In a certain Language PROSE is coded as PPOQE. How will LIGHT be coded? (SSC CGL Tier-I 2014)
- LIGFT 2) LGGHT 3) LLGFE 4) LGGFT
Q4. If JOSEPH is coded as FKOALD,then how GEORGE will be coded in that code language?
- CADMNO 2) CAKNIT 3) CAKNCA 4) JAKINS (SSC GL Tier-I 2013)
Q5. In a certain code language DHIE is written as WSRV and AEFB is written as ZVUY.How will GKLH be written in that code language? (IBPS Bank PO/MT CWE-III 2013)
Study the following information carefully and answer the questions given below:
In a certain code Language,
‘Rural and urban divide’ is coded as “Na ku za la”
‘Gap in rural infrastructure’ is coded as “Kt la vm pi”
‘Urban planning more important’ is coded as “ti na cu bu”
‘More divide than gap’ is coded as “Pi cu dm za” (IBPS RRB officer Scale-I 2014)
Q6.What is the code for ‘and’?
- zu 2) na 3) ku 4) la 5) cannot be determined
Q7.What is the code for ‘gap’?
Q8.What is the code for ‘rural distance’?
- zu la 2) la dm 3) pi zu 4) ku la 5) cannot be determined
Answer– zu la
Q9.What is the code for ‘than’?
- pi 2) dm 3) cu 4) zu 5) ti
Q10.Which of the following may possibly be the code for ”infrastructure gap divide rural and urban planning’?
1)bu ku na zu pi la cu
2)vm la zu pi na cu ku
3)kt bu zu pi ti vm la
4)la ku vm kt ti bu na
5)cannot be determined
Answer– cannot be determined
Type 2-Number Coding
There are two coding mechanism that is used in these type of questions.
i) Alphabetical code letters are assigned to the numbers
ii) Numerical code values are assigned to a word.
i)Alphabetical code letters are assigned to the numbers-
Q1.In a code Language the following alphabets are coded in a particular way.(SSC Combined Matric Level(Pre) 2002)
Which group of alphabets can be decoded from the following?
- ALTJUK 2) ALTUKJ 3) ALTVJK 4) ALTUJK
Q2. In a certain code PEN is Coded as 123,PENCIL as 123456,CABLE as 48962, then 6283123456 means what?(SSC CHSL 2015)
- LAENPENCIL 2) LEANPNCLI 3) LANPENCIL 4) LEANPENCIL
Q3.In a certain code 253 means ‘books are old’;’546’ means ‘man is old’ and ‘378’ means ‘buy good books.’what stands for “are” in that code? (SSC CGL )
- 6 2) 2 3) 4 4) 5
ii)Numerical code values are assigned to a word-
Q1.If BROAD means 19812.Then, CLOCK means- (SSC CGL 2015)
- 68262 2) 68622 3) 26826 4) 37836
Q2.If C=3, and CAT=24, what is FAULT? (SSC Steno 2011)
- 60 2) 57 3) 64 4) 72
Q3.In a certain code,LONDON is coded as 24-30-28-8-30-28.How will FRANCE be coded?
4) 12-36-2-28-8-10 (SSC CGL Tier-2013)
Q4.If REASON is coded as 5 and BELIEVED as 7,what is the code number for GOVERNMENT?
- 6 2) 8 3) 9 4) 10
TYPE 3 -(SUBSTITUTION)
- If air is called ‘green’,’green’ is called ‘blue’,’blue is called ‘sky’,’sky’ is called ‘yellow’,’yellow’ is called ‘water’ and ‘water’ is called ‘pink’ then what is the colour of clear ‘sky’? (SSC CGL Tier-I Exam 2015)
- Sky 2) Water 3) Blue 4) Yellow
Answer– (1) sky
Q1.In a certain code language FIRE is written as #%@$ and DEAL is written as !$*^.How is FAIL Written in that code Language?
- #*%^ 2) #$%^ 3) #*!$ 4) #*!^ 5)None of these (Bank of Maharashtra PO Exam 2008)
- Following words are written in a code language. Study them carefully and find out the word in the given code.
CAR- $ * ^
SIT- # ! @
WELL- % & ( (
MAP- ~ * )
Given Code- ( * ~ *
1)LAMP 2)LAMA 3)LAME 4)LAMB (SSC CGL Tier I-2014)
TYPE-5(Capital Letter to Small Letter)
Using the following code and Key, Decode the given coded word:
Code L X P Z J Y Q M N B
Key b a e s p r h i g t
- What is the Code for the Word- ZBYXMNQB
- strength 2) height 3) struggle 4) straight (SSC CGL Tier-I Exam-2015)
- Which letter in the word “Vertex” should be changed to mean spiral movement?
- Ist 2) 2nd 3) 4th 4) Last (SSC CGL Tier-I Exam 2014)
This information has been provided by Plutus Academy, one of the top coaching institute for Bank, SSC and IBPS coachings.Read More