IBPS PO Notes for Internet and Security
INTERNET & Security
The Internet is a interconnected computer networks that use the standard Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to link several devices worldwide. It is a network of networks that consist of millions of private, public, academic, business, of local to global scope,
that are linked by a broad array of electronic, wireless, and optical networking technologies.
ARPA NET (advanced research project agency network) researchers began to
assemble the “network of networks” that became the modern Internet.. It allow you to
easily communicate with other people.
The World Wide Web (WWW) is a system of internet that supports hypertext protocols
on a single interface.
A Website is a collection of digital documents. Such as HTML files that are linked together and exist on web under same domain.
A Home page, index page, or main page is a page on a website.
● A home page refers to the initial or main web page of a website called the “front page”.
● The first page that appears when opening a web browser program, which is also called the start page .
● This ‘start page’ can be a website or it can be a page with various browser functions such as the visual display of websites that are often visited in the web browser.
● Web page is backbone of WWW made of files called web pages contains information. It is created by HTML.
● A personal web page is a web hosting service or a university web site that typically is stored in the home directory of the user.
A Hyperlink jump to another web page without open a new tab on search.
A web browser is a software application for retrieving, presenting and traversing
information resources on the World Wide Web. Some browsers are Safari, Chrome,
Firefox, Bolt, UC Browser and Internet Explorer
The Uniform Resource Locator , URL is a specific character string that constitutes a
reference to a resource. In most web browsers, the URL of a web page is displayed
on top inside an address bar.
Downloading : To receive data to a local system from a remote system or to initiate such a data transfer Uploading to sending of data from a local system to a remote system . An Internet Protocol Address (IP address) is a numerical label assigned to each device (e.g., computer, printer) participating in a computer network. It acts as an identifier for a computer. It is a unique address for every computer. Domain names are used to identify one or more IP addresses.
The Universal Resource locator: or URL , is an entire set of directions, and it contains extremely detailed information. The domain name is one of the pieces inside of a URL.
An Email Attachment : is a computer file sent along with an email message. One or more files can be attached to any email message and sent along with it to the recipient.
CC (Carbon Copy) an email indicates those who are to receive a copy of a message addressed primarily to another. The list of CC recipients is visible to all other recipients of the message.
An Additional BCC (blind carbon copy) is available for hidden notification recipients listed in the BCC field receive a copy of the message, but are not shown on any other recipient’s copy.
The Drafts folder retains copies of messages that you have started but are not yet ready to send.
Computer security :- A Computer Virus is a computer small program or code that can replicate itself and spread from one computer system to another system. A computer virus has the capacity to corrupt or to delete data on your computer and it can utilize an e-mail program to spread the virus to other computer systems .It can even delete everything on your hard disk .The purpose of it is to disrupt the operation of the computer or the program. Some examples of Computer Virus are Trojan horse. Stealth viruses, macro-virus,worms, Disk Killer, Stone virus, Sunday, Cascade, Nuclear, Word Concept, etc.
Malware stand for malicious software, is any software used to damage computer operation, gather sensitive information, or gain access to private computer systems. Itcan appear in the form of executable code, scripts, active content, and other software.
Antivirus Software is a application software used to scan the hard disk to remove the virus from them. Some of the famous anti – viruses available are Avast, Norton, Avira, Kaspersky, AVG, etc.
Hacker : A person who uses his or her expertise to gain access to other people’s computers to get information illegally.
Authorization to give official permission to resources related to information security and computer security in general and to access control in particular. Authorize is to define an access policy.
Authentication is the act of confirming the truth of an attribute of a data or entity. It might involve confirming the identity of a person by validating their identity documents, verifying the validity of a website with a digital certificate, identifying the age of an artifact by carbon dating, or ensuring that a product is what its packaging and labeling claim to be. In other words, Authentication also involves verifying the validity of at least one form of identification.
Digital signature. : It is an electronic form of a signature that can be used to authenticate the identity of the sender of a message. Ensure that the original content of the message or document that has been sent is unchanged.
Firewall : can either be software-based or hardware based and used to help in keeping a network secure.
Password : is a secret word or string of character used for authentication to prove identity or access approval to gain access to a resource which should be kept secret from those who are not allowed to get access.
Phishing is characterized by the attempting to acquire sensitive information such as usernames, passwords, and credit card details by masquerading as a trustworthy entity
A Spoofing attack is a situation in which one person or program successfully
represents oneself as another by falsifying data and thereby gaining an illegitimate advantage
Spam : it is the abuse of messaging system to send unsolicited bulk messages in the form of E-Mails.
Adware : it is any software package which automatically renders advertisements in order to generate reverence for its author.
Secure socket layer(SSL) : It is an algorithm that provides application independent security and privacy over the internet.
Some security related terms :
1) Eavesdropping : attacker monitor transmissions for message content.
2) Masquerading : the attacker impersonates an authorized user and thereby gain certain authorized privileges.
3) Pretty good privacy : it is software that encrypt your E-Mail as well as digitally sign it.
4) Patches : is a piece of software designed to fix problems with a computer program or its supporting data.
5) Logic bomb : Piece of code intentionally inserted into a computer’s memory that will set off a malicious function when specified conditions are met.
6) Application Gateway : This applies security mechanism to specific applications such as file transfer protocol and telnet service.
7) Proxy server : can act as a firewall by responding to input packets in the manner of an application while blocking other packets.
IBPS PO Notes for Internet and Security Question and Answer
1.Which one of the following is not the feature of internet?
1.News group 2.Designing 3.E-mail 4.Chat
2.What do you mean by WWW in communication?
1. World wide web 2. With wide web 3.World with web 4.With wide web Answer (1)
3.URL must contain
1. Protocol identifier 2. The unique registered domain name
3.WWW and the unique registered domain name 4.WWW
4.What is the term for the set of rules and regulations while working on internet?
1.Internet 2.Intranet 3.Protocol 4.WWW Answer (3)
5.Which one of the following statement is correct for the term URL?
1.It is a type of programming object 2.It is a computer software program
3.It is the address of page on World Wide Web 4.It is an acronym for unlimited resource for learning
Answer (3 )
6.The term used for transferring a file from another computer to your computer is
1. Upgrading a document 2. Uploading a document 3.Accessing a document 4.Downloading a document
7.From the options given which one acts as a doorway to the rest of the website pages?
1. Home page 2. URL 3. Search engine 4.Browser
8.What term is often used for an email account that includes a storage area?
1.IP address 2.Hyperlink 3.Mailbox 4.Attachment
9.The term which is used to see web pages is called
1.Spreadsheet 2.Protocol 3.Word processor 4.A browser
10. In email address, the symbol that is used to separate the user name with the ISP address is
1. # 2. & 3. @ 4.%
Join us on Telegram and Facebook for B