Input Output Devices Notes for IBPS PO
Input / Output Devices
Input Devices – Input devices are those devices which are used to take data from the user.
Output Devices – Output Devices are those devices which are used to display/give data to user.
1) Keyboard –
- A keyboard is a primary input device that looks like a typewriter with additional
- Keyboard allows you to enter letters, numbers and special
- Each press on keyboard is known as “Keystroke” and each keystroke is first converted into ANSI
- Each Keyboard contains different types of
- Function Keys – F1 to F12
- Number Keys
- Arrow Keys
- Alphabets Keys
- Modifiers Keys – Alt, Ctrl, Shift
- Caps lock key, Spacebar key
- Cursor Key – Key which move the cursor to different position on the
- Toggle Keys- Key which performs 2 different actions on pressing. Ex-Caps Lock, Num Lock
- A normal Keyboard has 104 or 106
2) Mouse – A mouse is a pointing device. It is invented by Douglas Engels Bart in 1963. There are 2 buttons on the mouse. The Left button is used to select any objects and right button is used to get properties of any it detects two dimensional motion relative to a surface.It works on principle of drag and drop icons.
There are two types of mouse-
- Ball Mouse
- Optical Mouse
- The scrollbar is present between two buttons of mouse.
3) Scanner – The electrical device that converts hard copy of text/image into a soft copy of text/image that can be stored in computer Joystick- This is directional device used to play games in Bar-code Reader- Through this input device, bar-codes founds on tags and products are recognized. MICR Device- This is a device that is used to recognized character that are printed on cheques. OMR- Optical Mark Recognition is used to read OMR sheets which have marks in OCR- Optical Character Recognition.
Output Devices –
1) Monitor- This device is also known as Visual Display Unit. Monitor clarity is based on its Resolution. Resolution is based in dpi(dots per inch) .
2) Printers- This device produces hard copy of any soft copy present in computer. There are two types of Printers-
A) Impact Printers- This type of printer strikes on paper and ribbon together to form character on
- Daisy wheel Printers
- Dot matrix Printers
- Chain and Band Printers
B) Non- Impact Printers- It does not strikes on paper but uses ink spray and toner powder.
- Inkjet Printers
- Laser Printers
- Thermal Printers
3) Plotter- It is a printer which is used for large size color printing (Graphics).
INPUT/OUTPUT DEVICES Question and Answer
1. Information that comes from an external source and is fed into computer software is called
A Input B) Output C) Throughput D) Reports
2. The most widely used input device is the
A) Mouse B) Keyboard C) Modem D)Monitor
3. Devices that allow you to put information into the
A) Input B) Output C) Type D) Print
4. Which of the following is not an example of hardware ?
A) Scanner B) Printer C) Monitor D) Interpreter
5. Using output devices one can
A) Input data B) Store data C) Scan data D) View or print data
6. The term used to define all input and output devices in a computer system is
A) Monitor B) Software C) Shared resources D) Hardware
7. The most common method of entering text and numerical data into a computer system is through the use of a
A) Plotter B) Scanner C) Printer D) Keyboard
8. Which of the following is not an output device?
A) Plotter B) Printer C) Scanner D) Monitor
9. Devices that let the computer communicate with
A) Input B) Output C) Type D) Print
10 .The wheel located between the two standard buttons on a mouse is used to
A) Click on web pages B) Shutdown C) Click and select items D) Scroll