- Cars C1 and C2 travel to a place at a speed of 30 km/h and 45 km/h respectively. If car C2 takes 1 2 2 hours less time than C1 for the journey, the distance of the place is
(a) 300 km (b) 400 km (c) 350 km (d) 225 km
- A man covers a certain distance on a toy train. If the train moved 4 km/h faster, it would take 30 minutes less. If it moved 2 km/h slower, it would have taken 20 minutes more. Find the distance.
(a) 60 km (b) 58 km (c) 55 km (d) 50 km
- A goods train le same station and moves in the same direction at a uniform speed of 90 kmph. This train catches eaves a station at a certain time and at a fixed speed. After 6 hours, an express train leaves thup the goods train in 4 hours. Find the speed of the goods train.
(a) 36 kmph (b) 40 kmph (c) 30 kmph (d) 42 kmph
- Without stoppages, a train travels certain distance with an average speed of 80 km/h, and with stoppages, it covers the same distance with an average speed of 60 km/h. How many minutes per hour the train stops ?
(a) 15 (b) 18 (c) 10 (d) None of these
- If a man walks to his office at 3/4 of his usual rate, he reaches office 1/3 of an hour later than usual. What is his usual time to reach office.
(a) 1 hr 2 (b) 1 hr (c) 3 hr 4 (d) None of these
- A train running between two stations A and B arrives at its destination 10 minutes late when its speed is 50 km/h and 50 minutes late when its speed is 30km/h. What is the distance between the stations A and B ? (a) 40 km (b) 50 km (c) 60 km (d) 70 km
- A thief goes away with a Maruti car at a speed of 40 km/h. The theft has been discovered after half an hour and the owner sets off in another car at 50 km/h. When will the owner overtake the thief from the start.
(a) 1 2 2 hours (b) 2 hr 20 min (c) 1 hr 45 min (d) cannot be determined
- A starts 3 min after B for a place 4.5 km away. B on reaching his destination, immediately returns back and after walking a km meets A. If A walks 1 km in 18 minutes then what is B’s speed
(a) 5 km/h (b) 4 km/h (c) 6 km/h (d) 3.5 km/h
- A long distance runner runs 9 laps of a 400 metres track everyday. His timings (in minutes) for four consecutive days are 88, 96, 89 and 87 respectively. On an average, how many metres/minute does the runner cover ?
(a) 40 m/min (b) 45 m/min (c) 38 m/min (d) 49 m/min
- It takes eight hours for a 600 km journey, if 120 km is done by train and the rest by car. It takes 20 minutes more, if 200 km is done by train and the rest by car. The ratio of the speed of the train to that of the speed of the car is :
(a) 4 : 3 (b) 3 : 4 (c) 3 : 2 (d) 2 : 3
Answers and Solutions
- (d) Let C1 takes t hrs.
Then, Q Distance is same.
Distance = 225km
- (a) Let the distance be x km and speed of train be y km/h.
Then by question, we have xy + 4 = xy – 306 …..(i)
xy – 2 = x y+ 2060 …..(ii)
On solving (i) and (ii),
we get x = 3y Put x = 3y
Y = 20
Hence, distance = 20 3 = 60km
- (a) Let the speed of the goods train be x kmph.
Distance covered by goods train in 10 hours
= Distance covered by express train in 4 hours.
10x = 4 × 90 or x = 36.
So, speed of goods train = 36 kmph.
- (a) Due to stoppages, it covers 20 km less .
Time taken to cover 20km = 2080hr 15 min
- (b) If new speed is ab of original speed.
Then, usual time × (ba– 1) change in time
usual time = 13
usual time = 13 3 = 1hr
- (b) Let the distance between the two stations be x km.
Then, x50 – 106 = x 30 – 506
X = 50km
- (a) Distance to be covered by the thief and by the owner is same.
Let after time ‘t’, owner catches the thief.
T = 212hr
- (a) A covers 3.5 km before he meets B in (18 × 3.5 + 3) = 66 min
B’s speed is 5km/hr
- (a) Average speed = total Distancetotal time= 400 4 9360 = 40 metres /minute
- (b) Let the speed of the train and the car be x km/h and y km/h, respectively.